Tuesday, April 19, 2016

wedding planning // the decor

I can't believe the wedding is less than 6 months away - I feel like time is flying by and it will be here before we know it!

The next thing I have been tackling is decor. There are so many little details to think about! The ceremony, the reception, the tables, etc etc. As I mentioned in the post I did on flowers, I will be having a peach carnation curtain at the alter. I'm really into simplicity, so with the outdoor mountain backdrop, the gorgeous walnut tree with the flower curtain, and white chairs for the guests...I think the ceremony is all set. I toyed around with the idea of other decor touches like flower petals or Shepard hooks with lanterns, but then I remind myself...the goal is to keep the budget under control and just keep things pretty, simple, and sticking to the outdoorsy / mountain / bohemian vibe.


Image via
As for the reception, I think I have most of it covered at this point. I found an image of amazing outdoor lighting back when Aaron and I first got engaged, and I was never able to get it out of my mind...so I've spent countless hours on the internet finding all the bits and pieces to hopefully make it a reality. The only difference is that it will be inside an open white frame tent, instead of completely outdoors. 



I was able to find white cafe lights, glass handing lanterns exactly like pictured, and hanging crystals too! Not sure what will be put in the lanterns yet...maybe extra carnations...maybe tealights? 

My big DIY project for the wedding is to make the welcome sign and table numbers. I think this is definitely something I can do, and I hope to have a post all about it once I take the time to sit down and make it happen ;) I have purchased almost all the materials, so I should be able to get started on it soon! Here is what I am going for...





I plan to have a welcome table outside the tent with this sign and then the place cards for dinner, and a card box. Did any of you ladies have a card box? What did you use? This is something I still haven't figured out, but I do like the idea of a little banner like this one to attach to the box...





I ordered various linens for the reception, some purchased and some rented. All tables will have white floor length coverings, and then decorative linens to cover. The welcome table I mentioned above will have a champagne-colored satin rosette runner, and inside the tent - the small cake table and Bride & Groom sweetheart table will have the same fabric, but as overlays like this...


I ordered them offline, and they are beautiful, but it would have been pricey to do every single table with them. So I decided to do them on just a couple of the key tables mentioned above), and then do burlap runners on the guest dinner tables. 




As for centerpieces, this is something I spent A LOT of time figuring out. Since I decided early on to nix big floral arrangements (in an effort to save major $$) ...I had to think of something else that would work and be more cost effective. I found some lanterns at Ikea and great examples of what other brides have done with them online. So, each table will have a white lantern with pillar candle inside. There will also be lots of tealights in various small jars and candle holders. Finally, there will be two small bubble vases with peach carnations (see how I carried that over from the ceremony? ;) on each table. That way, there are some flowers, but it is much more budget-friendly.



The last thing I realized I needed to think about was place settings. I didn't want to just have the plates on the table without any sort of decor, so I found some nice inspiration images online and decided to have menus printed (that will match the place cards - thank you Minted!). Each menu will go on top of a folded linen napkin, and then have a bit of baby's breath tied around it with some twine... similar to this...



That's all I have for now! Is there anything you can think of that I have missed? I'm sure there is...as there are SO many little details to think about! ;)
Links to all images can be found on my Pinterest wedding board here!

2 comments:

  1. wow, less than 6 months! so exciting. we did have a card box, but unfortunately some of our cards were stolen but obviously I hope that doesn't happen to you! we had another wedding next to ours at the same time, and it was them, we think. anyway, don't want to dwell on that ;) i love the little banner, and the diy welcome sign and table numbers! cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh such beautiful ideas! I love it all! I can't think of anything else it sounds like you have it all covered!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your comments and try my best to get back to each and every one ♥